So, y’all, it’s time to get serious. There is a lot of negativity right now. There is a lot of cruelty and hatred in this world, and there is a lot of devastation.
I have some friends and family and former coworkers down in Houston and my heart is hurting for them.
I wanted to share a few things you can do to add some positivity and light to this world. These are some small things that add to things you already do daily. They may not make a huge impact, but they’re little things you can do throughout the day to help make this world a better place.
1. Use Amazon Smile. If you’re not aware, you can use Amazon Smile to check out instead of just Amazon. Go to smile.amazon.com/ and change your settings. You still use your Amazon account, and your cart is still connected to your Amazon cart, but a portion of the purchase goes to the nonprofit of your choice.
You can donate to an animal shelter, a childrens’ organization, and almost a million other places. This small step can give a little bit extra to an organization you support, and I think that’s great and super easy.
2. A step I’ve been doing for a while is using coffee cozies, or coffee sleeves, that you bring with you. Amanda from MsAmandaJayne on Etsy sent me these super cute cozies. I purchased one from her a long time ago, and I’ve purchased a few since then. She did send me these, and I really wanted to share them. Taking your own coffee sleeve is something very small that can make a big difference. You don’t throw them away, so they don’t add to landfills. They are reusable, so you’re not throwing away a sleeve each time you grab a cup to go. They keep the cup from burning your hand like a normal coffee sleeve does, but they’re also cute. I have a Kentucky one, a couple of dog-themed ones, some Halloween sleeves, a turtle, a Slytherin sleeve, and now these. I’m so excited to use them!
3. I saw a quote in a Louisville coffee shop that said “Be the reason someone smiles today.” I love that so much. If you do nothing else to contribute, even if you can’t financially help anyone, just be a little light in the world. It can have a huge impact. You can make someone’s day, and you never know who needs some encouragement and happiness.
4. I have a friend who lives in Houston. I texted him the other day to check and make sure he’s ok and to see if he needs anything right now. He said he’s fine in his area, but he really appreciated me checking on him. Little things like sending a text to check on someone is always something anyone can do. Just send some encouragement to someone or let them know you thought about them – it can really be a big help.
5. This one goes along with #3. Have you heard the saying “Throw kindness around like confetti?” I think it’s a great one. But my suggestion is to change this saying a little. I’m changing it to “Throw compliments around like confetti.” If you like someone’s makeup or hair or outfit, TELL THEM. When someone does the same for you, doesn’t it make you feel great? If this is out of your comfort zone, STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. It can really make someone else feel good about themselves. It always makes my day when someone compliments me, and I like to do the same for others. Don’t ever be afraid to compliment someone. It’s a small thing and it can make a HUGE impact on someone’s day.
What are some little things you like to do to make a difference? Maybe I can start adding them to things I’m doing!